The Contemporary Art Gallery is dedicated to the research, exhibition, education and documentation of contemporary visual art as it is practiced locally through to internationally. It aspires to generate significant audiences for its innovative and diverse programmes through free access and a profile that is international in scope. The CAG aims to be perceived as a producer and transmitter of new ideas and activities, as a container for artistic experience. Radiating out from our centre in Vancouver, our programme seeks to signify an understanding of art as something of meaning in our daily lives, asserting a continuum, enmeshed within and of significance to all other experience.
The Contemporary Art Gallery promotes knowledge and understanding of contemporary visual art through:
• initiation and promotion of exhibitions, publications, learning and outreach programs presenting work made by both Canadian and international artists
• development of dynamic and committed relationships between art, artists and audiences that support and contribute to a diverse community
• playing a key role in the cultural life of Vancouver and British Columbia
• offering access to everyone
• informative and engaging resources on visual arts
• the City of Vancouver Art Collection of 3,000 works of art which are circulated in public spaces throughout civic buildings and loaned for exhibition to museums and galleries
Established in 1976, the CAG plays a unique role in the city of Vancouver as the city’s only independent public gallery dedicated exclusively to contemporary art. Featuring exhibitions of local emerging artists as well as more established and international artists, our programs include online learning resources, artist talks and publications. In order to keep our programs accessible and free of charge, we rely on the contributions of members, individuals, foundations, corporations and government agencies. More than 50% of our support comes from the private sector. Please consider giving to our Annual Campaign or to our Operating Endowment Fund, where your donation will support the CAG in perpetuity and the interest that it generates will directly offset the costs of our free programs and exhibitions.
555 Nelson Street
Contact Name:Lisa Fedorak