We are concerned with the increasing number of youth in Canada who live on the streets and are at risk of never reaching their full potential. Some may never connect with community, never experience the joy of creating and perhaps never realize that they have options beyond life on the streets.
To enhance the quality of life of young people who are street-involved, homeless or at risk of being homeless, by offering creative tools, safe space to express and create and opportunities to creatively engage in community life.
Sketch exists to foster creativity, self-discovery, and personal empowerment for youth who are street-involved and homeless, in an atmosphere of safety, freedom and acceptance.
Through engagement in the arts youth:
• are involved in creative self-expression
• celebrate one another’s creativity
• build their self-esteem and self-awareness
• can become aware of healthy lifestyle choices
• can enhance their job readiness and life skills
• can participate in the life of their community
• can develop leadership and entrepreneurial skills
• can explore future options beyond the street
Create opportunities for street involved and homeless people ages 15-29, to engage in the arts in a cross-discipline studio environment or in the community
• space for self-expression and skill-building through self-directed time in studio or instructional workshops
• art making out in the community
• exhibition and sale of artwork
• connections to mentorship and apprenticeships in the arts industry
• support for education or a career in the arts
• jobs for participating youth facilitating workshops and programs
• space to explore and express opinions and ideas through art making
• a way to regain privacy or to feel some relief from the pressures of street life
• a place to play
• NOT just for youth who are or want to be artists
• a place of welcome!
To keep you up-to-date on how your support is making a difference, you will receive a copy of our quarterly e-newsletter to enjoy, which you may unsubscribe to at any time.
PO BOX 6, STN C