Real Help…Right Here…Right Now…For Families That Need It Most!
Best Start Health Coalition in Peel aims to reduce the incidence of low birth weight babies by offering free comprehensive services that promote the healthiest pregnancies possible, including health education, nutrition and social support to child bearing women and their families.
Best Start Health Coalition in Peel is a non-profit charitable organization committed to assisting pregnant women in need at our Healthy Start and Teen Prenatal Supper Club program sites.
The primary goals of Best Start Health Coalition in Peel (BSHCP) for over 800 expectant women and teens living in Peel are to:
- Promote the healthiest pregnancies possible.
- Prepare them for the birth and care of their babies.
- Provide a source of advice and support that will help them find the right services in their community.
- Promote improved health and development for their babies.
- Increase parenting confidence and knowledge.
- Decrease parental stress and increase parental support.
- Reduce the rate of babies born with low birth weight (weighing less than 5 ½ lbs. or 2,500 grams at birth).
- Reduce the rate of premature babies born (before 37 completed weeks of gestation).
Organizational History and Purpose:
Best Start Health Coalition in Peel began on March 26, 1991 from a meeting comprised of agencies and community groups working to support childbearing women and young children in Peel. The aim of this group was to reduce the number of low birth weight and pre-mature babies born in Peel. This group recognized the immediate needs of some expectant mothers for food, prenatal education and access to supportive counseling and referrals. They also acknowledged that by pooling existing resources and expertise, several agencies working together could develop a program to address these needs. As a result, on July 15, 1992, BSHCP launched a new program called Healthy Start.
From these humble beginnings, this group evolved into today’s organization, Best Start Health Coalition in Peel, which consists of 8 Healthy Start program sites and 3 Teen Prenatal Supper Clubs which provide crucial prenatal services to over 800 expectant women and teens annually!
4 AUTOMATIC RD, UNIT #102
Contact Name:Barbara Wallace, Executive Director