About CanadaHelps – For Your Donors
Helping your donors understand CanadaHelps
Many charities will include a brief explanation of CanadaHelps on their website along with the Donate Now! button so donors understand how their donations are processed. This is helpful because:
- Your Donate Now! button takes donors off of your website to CanadaHelps.org
- Donations are charged by CanadaHelps, and some donors will not recognize the charge
You know your donors best and what type of information your donors might want about CanadaHelps, here are a few suggestions:
Prepared Paragraphs about CanadaHelps
- Explain that CanadaHelps is a registered charity that processes secure online donations
- Clearly and openly communication that CanadaHelps assesses a 3.9% transaction fee on each donation. This amount is deducted before the donation is sent to the charity, and covers all credit card merchant rates, transaction fees, banking costs, receipting, reconciliation and disbursement.
- Include a link to the Donor FAQ section.
- Remind donors that their credit cards will be charged by CanadaHelps.
- Emphasize the safety and security of the CanadaHelps site. Provide a link to our Privacy and Security section.
- Outline the process of giving online through CanadaHelps. Let donors know that within minutes of making a donation, they will receive an official electronic tax receipt. Click here to review the donation process.
Below are a few prepared paragraphs that you can include directly on your donations page, depending on the amount of text you have room for and what information you would like to share.
- CanadaHelps is a registered charity (charitable number 896568417RR0001) with a mission to engage Canadians in the charitable sector, providing accessible and affordable online technology to both donors and charities to promote – and ultimately increase – charitable giving in Canada.
- CanadaHelps assesses a 3.9% fee from each donation made through CanadaHelps.org. This 3.9% includes the costs of processing the transaction itself including credit card fees, banking fees, reconciliation, disbursement and receipting costs. This is a modest fee for the services that CanadaHelps provides.
- CanadaHelps recognizes that privacy and security are important issues for both donors and charities and is committed to ensuring a safe online experience. You can review the measures that CanadaHelps takes to protect your security and privacy online here.
- Because CanadaHelps processes the donations before sending the funds to our organization, your credit card will be charged by CanadaHelps.
- By donating online through CanadaHelps, you are helping our organization reduce the administrative costs of manually processing and receipting donations.