Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures.
At the recommendation of provincial health authorities, Boys and Girls Clubs across the country have been suspending operations. This decision is not made lightly. Our Clubs most often operate in vulnerable communities, and in times of crisis, those vulnerable communities are most at risk.
As quarantine and isolation strategies continue, many of the families that rely on Boys and Girls Clubs will suffer. We don’t know what the future holds. But we do know that right now, our Clubs are in dire need of support.
We have 700 locations across the country. We believe an emergency fund of $10 million dollars will empower Clubs in many ways, including:
• Purchasing gift cards from grocery stores to provide food for families and Club employees who are struggling, while also supporting local businesses
• Assembling care packages that can provide essentials for local families
• Continuing operations to care for the children of emergency health workers
• Covering rent and infrastructure costs for Clubs that have lost funding
• Recovering revenue for fees lost due to March Break program closures
• Subsidizing staff wages to help employees now, and ensure Clubs can open in the future
• Assisting with legal fees as Clubs make tough decisions about staffing
• Providing mental health & counselling services that are needed in a crisis
• Responding to other emergency needs
Boys and Girls Clubs help communities—and those communities need us now more than ever. As we navigate the uncertainty ahead, your donation will benefit thousands of children, youth, and families.