Canada Without Poverty is a non-partisan, not-for-profit, and charitable organization led by a Board of Directors who have a lived experience of poverty. Poverty is a violation of human rights and yet, across Canada, millions of people live in poverty.
We began our work in 1971 emerging from the Poor People’s Conference as the National Anti-Poverty Organization. In the decades since then, CWP has been championing the rights of individuals experiencing poverty and marginalization through research, awareness-building campaigns, public policy development, educational programming and the advancement of human rights. Some of our past works include researching and submitting recommendation on the right to food, the right to housing, a fairer tax system, realistic child care benefits and unemployment insurance as well as equal access to education
Some of our projects that you would be supporting include:
- Furthering progressive policies such as the Right to Housing- which was recently recognized as a human right in Bill C-97.
- Our Dignity for All initiative, which includes our annual awareness-building event on the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty: ChewOnThis!
- Online and in-person economic and social rights workshops, introducing people across Canada to human rights language
- The development of resources like our Human Rights and Poverty Reduction Strategies, A Guide to International Human Rights Law and its Domestic Application in Poverty Reduction Strategies
- Our Poverty Progress Profile reports, featuring data on poverty, food insecurity, and homelessness in every province and territory
Your donations would go towards helping us end poverty through helping us continue our work in creating progressive policies and submitting recommendation to the Government of Canada. With the impact being meaningful change in political processes to ensure equality through progressive policies that reflect the needs of low-income individuals. We would not be able to continue our work if it weren't for generous donors like you.
Our name reflects the spirit of our work. Our goal is to create a Canada where no one faces poverty, homelessness, food insecurity and inequality. We welcome you in helping us address inequality in Canada in any way you can. We would suggest donations of around $25 dollars towards this cause.