Campaign Ends Sept. 8, 2020
Educating the hearts and minds of children is more vital now than ever.
With the closure of schools around the country as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, many families are struggling to adjust to having their children at home, and require accessible resources to support their children's learning and development.
Research shows that children who receive social emotional education not only have lower levels of emotional distress, mental illness, and substance abuse; they also experience a greater capacity to solve problems peacefully and improve an average 11 percentile points on standardized achievement tests. However, without formal training in social and emotional education, the COVID-19 crisis presents for many parents a steep learning curve as they are now providing home-based education.
Through offering accessible, family-friendly resources like Heart-Mind Online, a free evidence-based website that equips over 120,000 annual North American and International adult users with skills, knowledge, lesson plans, and practices to improve both their own well-being and that of the children in their care, the Dalai Lama Center is uniquely positioned to address the needs of families around the globe who have suddenly found their homes transformed into classrooms.
Due to the pandemic, the Dalai Lama Center has had to cancel our annual conference and workshops in order to protect public health. Meanwhile, children and families' need for emotional support and learning resources has historically never been greater. Rates of domestic abuse, anxiety, and depression have risen since the onset of the pandemic and social isolation measures–and the resources and community programs that the Dalai Lama Center provides are designed to protect children and families against such adversities.
Therefore, at this time of crisis, we seek your support so that we can continue to Educate the Hearts and Minds of Children. No child or family should be abandoned as a consequence of this pandemic, nor should a child’s education and well-being be compromised. Just as food and medical care are necessities, so too is the human need for social connection and emotional support. Your donation, in any amount you are able to make, is essential at this time to give children and families the guidance, care, and resilience they need to make it through this crisis.
Donors like you have a profound impact: with the small footprint that our organization has, your funds allow hundreds of thousands of children and youth to benefit from our programs on an annual basis. A monthly donation of $25 reaches 114 children and youth annually. We are therefore galvanizing the capacity of our organization to innovate ways to reach families in this unprecedented time of need, through:
1) Developing new Heart-Mind Online Resources designed for use by parents and caregivers providing home-based learning.
2) Disseminating Heart-Mind Online to a wider global audience, so that more families and children in need can benefit from this accessible, free learning platform.
3) Piloting online alternatives for critical programs for families in need, that cannot be offered in the community at this time.
4) Researching the development of online training and certification programs for workshop facilitators, who will offer evidence-informed learning opportunities for adults who have key relationships with children and youth.
5) Supporting educators to provide guidance and tools for the families of children in their care to optimize their home-based learning approaches.
Please consider becoming a Heart-Mind Supporter at this critical time in history. Your generosity will be felt for generations to come.