Encouraging and supporting people with physical disabilities to enjoy the personal satisfaction and health benefits available through gardening.
About DISABLED INDEPENDENT GARDENERS ASSOCIATION
DIGA’s primary goals are:
• To encourage people with significant disabilities to seek the enjoyment and health benefits available through gardening;
• To provide an opportunity for integrating disabled gardeners with their able-bodied counterparts, creating a inclusive gardening community;
• To provide disabled gardeners with volunteer engineering services for the adaptation and customization of gardening tools, making the activity accessible to all.
DIGA supports these goals through:
• Seasonal workshops held at local gardens, featuring expert speakers and educational programs, all complemented by online and print material;
• Delivery of community-based, in-home volunteer services to disabled gardeners;
• Partnering with the Tetra Society of North America to benefit from their volunteers’ skill and experience – allowing for the highest quality of adapted tools for our members.