People with disabilities have the ability to travel - but it takes a lot of planning. For example, imagine how you plan a trip to the beach: you could simply decide to go, grab your swimsuit, towel, drinks and some snacks, and drive there.
For someone we support, there are more considerations. Some of which include:
- is there sufficient staff coverage, and do shifts need to be adjusted;
- how can we get there, since public transit doesn't go to the beach;
- are the washrooms and change rooms accessible with a table and a lift to change in/out of their bathing suit;
- are medications required while out for the day;
- what if the person eats pureed food? We have to bring a blender and thickening agent to puree food;
- what equipment do they need? Ventilator, suctioning machine; and
- how will the person get into the water?
We hope you will give generously to PHSS this Giving Tuesday. This year, we are directing all Giving Tuesday donations toward the Lori Hicks Vacation Fund: a fund dedicated to ensuring that the people we support have the opportunity to travel and go on their dream vacations.
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. Celebrated on the Tuesday following the U.S. Thanksgiving and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Giving Tuesday kicks off the giving season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year gifts.
While Giving Tuesday is only one day, you can give for Giving Tuesday at this link any time you like from wherever you are. Please visit our website (www.PHSScommunity.com) to learn more about us!