6th Annual Walk for Scleroderma ~~~~~~~~ June 2020~~~~~~~
In light of the situation with COVID-19, Manitoba's 6th Annual Walk for Scleroderma format has changed.
Scleroderma Manitoba will be following the government’s guidelines and will not be holding the walk at St Vital Park, as it has been for the previous 5 years. Since it is still very important to raise awareness & funds, we have come up with an alternative.
Please register as you normally would ($0 registration fee) for this year’s virtual event and commit to walking, running or riding a bike for a total of 1K or 5K from June 1st to World Scleroderma Day on June 29th.
Commit to the distance & keep your own tally throughout the month. It is not necessary to complete the entire distance all at one time. This way you can walk at your own pace in a safe setting, all while practicing social distancing.
Register with a team or as an individual.
Once you are registered, please promote yourself on your social media to ask for donations or people to join you, as you have done in the past.
If you have one, please wear your t-shirt from any of the previous years while out walking, to raise awareness.
The fun continues afterwards when everyone shares how they participated, so make sure to take pictures or videos and send them to us via email to email@example.com. Include your location and any other details you would like to provide. Also, please tag our Facebook page.
Funds raised at our event stay in Canada to support scleroderma research studies. Here’s a few of the current research projects underway in 2020:
- identify too high or too low genome sequences within cells leading to effective treatment of skin and/or lung damage in patients (Vancouver)
- develop stem cell transplant guidelines leading to a pathway for assessing transplant candidates (Winnipeg)
- investigate the large spectrum of scleroderma-related disorders like lung disease, Sjögren's syndrome and skin ulcers (Toronto)
- detect and identify the potential role of serum autoantibodies leading to better diagnosis and development of new therapies for scleroderma (Montreal)
- investigate and develop self-management, hand function and psychosocial rehabilitative interventions leading to online programs and toolkits to help patients cope with important challenges, improving their quality of everyday life (Montreal)
- studies to identify a core set of items to classify scleroderma renal crisis (Halifax).
If you've never joined us before because the date, time or location didn't fit your schedule, this is your chance to help raise MUCH NEEDED research funds for Scleroderma!
Your choice of time. Your choice of location. Your choice of exercise.
Online registration closes at 10 pm on June 28.
By registering for the Walk for Scleroderma in Winnipeg, MB you agree to the following waiver.
Waiver: I am participating at my own risk and waive all claims of every nature against the organizers, sponsors and any other participating agencies in respect of any personal loss, illness or bodily injury. I acknowledge that I am aware of the inherent risks of participation in an athletic event of this type.
Pledge Sheets are available on our web site.
Tax Receipts are issued for donations over $25.00.
Canada Helps has advised that for security reasons, everyone who registers requires their own email address. This includes children and we understand that most children do not have their own email address. Thank you for your understanding and please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.
Should you have any issues registering, please contact Canada Helps @ 1-877-755-1595 (Mon-Fri 9 am to 5 pm EST) or firstname.lastname@example.org.