SASC Virtual Halloween Fun Run
Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region
Grab your capes and crowns! It's the SASC Virtual Halloween Fun Run!
This exciting event will take place on Saturday, October 24, 2020. Sign up, collect pledges, and walk, run, or roll 5 kilometres in support of survivors of sexual violence - in costume!
You can run alone, or with a crew of your besties. The run route is your choice. You can participate in this virtual event from anywhere in the world.
On Run Day, we will flood social media with your photos using the hashtag #SASCFunRun. Let's make this a spooky season to remember!
How It Works
1. This is a fundraising run. Sign up is free, but those who collect $100 in donations by September 25, 2020 will receive a Run Kit filled with goodies (a running bib, water bottle and more) will be entered into a draw to win a Fit Bit Charge 4! That's not all - we'll have challenges along the way for more chances to win fun prizes.
2. Choose your running location. You can participate from anywhere in the world. We will suggest a few routes in our participant toolkit if you need some inspiration!
3. It's spooky season! Show up to Run Day in COSTUME! Choose your favourite feminist icon, superhero, mythical figure or anything you like! Let's make this a fun and safe run for all - please, no costumes that depict violence or that appropriate other cultures/religions.
4. The day of, we will get things kicked off at 12 p.m. with a Facebook Live Run Launch with our Executive Director. Let's get inspired together.
5. Post pictures of your journey using the hashtag #SASCFunRun. We'll share your photos on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! Let's flood social media with photos showing our support for survivors.
Let's do this! Together we will make this a spooky season to remember!
Why We Are Fundraising
This year, due to restrictions caused by COVID-19, we had to make the hard decision to cancel our annual fundraising gala, our biggest fundraising event of the year (our gala raised $43,000 in 2019). Although we plan to hold our gala again when it is safe to do so, we are dedicated to fundraising in a new way that is safe, fun and innovative...because local survivors urgently need our community's support.
In the post-#MeToo era, and with the increased challenge of a global pandemic, we’ve been flooded with calls for support. The demand for our services has exploded. Five years ago, 40 survivors on our wait list was a crisis; now we have 140. It’s our new normal.
As a Sexual Assault Support Centre, we wrap survivors in community care. We walk beside them on their journey. Our support is free and doesn’t come with time limits.
For over thirty years our motto’s been “You are NOT alone.” In the post-#MeToo era, we need your help to say this with confidence to survivors.
1. Who do I contact if I have questions or need technical support?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need support setting up your fundraising page, or have any questions at all!
2. How do I join as an individual?
Just click the "Join as an Individual" button at the top of this page. Our sign up process is a breeze, and is totally free! Remember: those who have fundraised $100 by September 25 will receive a Run Kit with some goodies and a ballot to win a Fit Bit Charge 4!
3. How do I create a team?
Click the "Create a Team" button above. You will guided to set up an individual fundraising page, and a team page as the team captain. From there, you can invite folks to join your team via email! Remember: those who have fundraised $100 by September 25 will receive a Run Kit with some goodies and a ballot to win a Fit Bit Charge 4!
4. How do I join a team?
Click "Find a Team or Person" and search by team name. Once you find the team page, click on it. On the team page, there will be a button that says "Join this team". Click on it to join!
5. I don't have a lot of fundraising experience. How can I make my fundraising a success?
No worries - fundraising is meant to be FUN! We will provide each participant with a toolkit with some fundraising tips and tricks, and info for Run Day!
6. What can I expect on the day of?
The day of, we will get things kicked off at 12 p.m. with a Facebook Live with our Executive Director. We encourage you to post pictures of your journey using the hashtag #SASCFunRun. We'll share your photos on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! Let's show our support for survivors and flood our social media with your amazing photos!!
About the Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region (SASC):
We support survivors of sexual violence. We listen, facilitate healing, and celebrate resiliency. Using an intersectional feminist approach, we work to transform systems which promote gender-based violence.
A world without sexual violence and oppression.