Soroptimist International is an NGO with a consultative status in the UN.It is the voice of women around the world. With more than 80,000 members in over 130 countries, Soroptimist is the largest volunteer organization.
Four Soroptimist Federations across the globe are involved at local, national and international levels to educate women and girls and work on projects that enable women & girls to increase their standard of living & overcome challenges such as sex slavery, domestic violence & poverty. Soroptimist International helps these women live their dreams!
Soroptimist International of Toronto is part of Soroptimist International of Americas Federation. Soroptimist International of Toronto is an advocate of women's rights. It works towards ending violence against women, empowering girls and women socially and economically and educating them to lead their lives.
For over 80 years, SI Toronto has done unwavering work in standing up for women & girls. It has worked on many projects that benefit women & girls locally& globally. Major projects include:
- Live Your Dream Award:To women who took the initiative to improve their lives while being the main wage earner
- Naomi Grigg Award:To support postgraduate studies in gerontology
- Helen Marion Walker Scholarship:To support research into women's health at Women's College Hospital
- 416 Community Support for Women & Street Haven projects: To support and fund marginalized and vulnerable women
- Aboriginal women's project:
- Kisumu Sponsorship: To support girls in Kisumu, Kenya for tuition, uniform & books
What People Are Saying
"There is no tool for development more effective than the women empowerment"
— Kofi Annan Former UN Secretary General
"You educate a man;you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation."
— Brigham Young