TLG Community Strong Read-a-Thon
THE LITERACY GROUP - More Than Reading
Community Strong Read-a-Thon for The Literacy Group May 11 to June 12
Like many charitable groups, we've had to re-think our 2020 fundraising events. So, with many people self-isolating and working remotely, our fundraising takes a new turn.
We invite you to join our reading community and participate in our read-a-thon to raise funds and participate in fun reading challenges.
How does the Community Strong Read-a-Thon work?
- Join as an individual or get some friends together to create a team
- Set yourself a fundraising goal and share the link to your fundraising page with your friends and family. Ask them to sponsor you
- Click on the link to learn about creative tips for raising pledges http://theliteracygroup.com/community-strong-read-a-thon-fundraiser/
All proceeds raised will go directly to support The Literacy Group of Waterloo Region, the only community-based adult literacy program in our area.
Here’s another good reason to take part – you could win by reading! For every $50 you raise, your name will be entered to win in our weekly draw.
Follow TLG on social media and post your updates using #IReadforTLG
- 1 in 4 of adults live with the lowest levels of literacy. That means they can’t read to their children or help them with homework
- The children of parents with low literacy skills often struggle with reading and the cycle of low literacy continues
- An adult living with low literacy is 2.5 times more likely to live in poverty and suffer poor health.
- TLG is Waterloo Region’s only provider of free one to one tutoring and small group training that support its lowest skilled community members
Our success stories are best told by our adult learners and tutors. Check out #TLGVoices, https://sites.google.com/view/tlgvoices/home, or learn more on our website.
All participating TLG learners who raise funds will be included in the weekly prize draw.