SideDoor opened in 1995 and provides services and supports to vulnerable youth; with specialized supports for youth experiencing homelessness.
Originally opening as a Drop-In Youth Centre in 1995 SideDoor has grown exponentially, now operating:
1. Hope's Haven - Transitional Housing and Supports for Youth Experiencing Homelessness (opened June 12, 2015) at 5114-52nd Street.
OPEN 24-hours day
2. Emergency Shelter - for youth experiencing homelessness (since 2005).
OPEN 7 days a week: 2000hrs - 1200hrs.
3. HOME4 (Housing First) Program - permanent housing for youth experiencing homelessness (since July 2017)
4. Resource Centre for YOUth - at 4903-50th Street (Drop-In Centre/Day Shelter)
OPEN 7 days a week: 1200hrs - 2000hrs.
Primary Supports include:
1. Employment and Literacy (HELP4U: 21-week employment program)
2. Housing and Tenancy (Emergency Shelter, Transitional Housing and Housing First)
3. Practical Supports and Life Skills (Showers, laundry, clothing, food, etc)
4. Mental Health and Addictions (Matrix and AA and on-site counselling)
LUNCH: 1200hrs / Dinner 1700hrs.
The SideDoor exists to instil values, character and community that will empower Northern youth to find fulfilment (HOPE) by providing a safe haven and practical supports.
We are committed to preventing, reducing and ending youth homelessness in Yellowknife for youth, ages 14-24.