YSM is facing an unprecedented challenge due to the COVID-19 virus. And no one knows how long this crisis will last. Your gift is vital in sustaining our efforts to help those in need — for as long as this crisis continues. Families and individuals experiencing poverty and homelessness are at greater risk than ever before, with no ability to stockpile supplies. They are among the most vulnerable people in our community. And they have very few places to turn to for help as doors close all around them.
We want to ensure our communities feel supported and are receiving the resources that they need during this time. In response, YSM is now operating with an emergency plan that ensures our essential programs and services can continue to be carried out - including downtown Toronto East’s largest food bank. We are working to maintain our meal service, food bank and access to mental health support and have revised our delivery by following public health recommendations to safeguard the well-being of community members and staff and do our part to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
As we strive to continue these services indefinitely, your support would significantly help provide the follow supports to those in need:
• Take-away lunches, snacks and drinks for street-involved youth
• Emergency mental health and housing support for homeless youth
• Emergency food and hygiene packages for individuals and families in need
• Healthy take-away meals for adults living with poverty
• Counselling via phone and video for those in need of urgent mental health crisis support Due to the pandemic, YSM volunteers are no longer available to distribute food. YSM staff have been redeployed to undertake procurement of supplies and frontline distribution of healthy meals and packages of emergency food provisions.
Our revised food program is costly. Due to growing demand for help across the city, our food donations have reduced by 50% from suppliers. Please consider donating to help us continue providing essential services to Toronto’s most vulnerable during this challenging and uncertain time.