As we all do our best to navigate through this uncertain time, charities are needed more than ever to continue to carry out their missions and service so that the most vulnerable in our communities are not left behind.
But at the same time, charities have a duty to their staff, clients and other stakeholders to operate safely and responsibly, adjust to new ways of working and interacting, and plan for harsh new economic realities.
Below is a list of resources we’ve collected to help charities in these difficult times, including information about virtual events, online fundraising, remote working, communications, and more.
If you have any additional resources to share or feel like there is anything we’ve missed, please reach out to us and let us know. We want to help and are here for you!
The CanadaHelps Team
Updates from the Government of Canada and the World Health Organization regarding COVID-19.
- Government of Canada – COVID-19 Official Page
- World Health Organization – COVID-19 Official Page
- Resources for Canadian Businesses – COVID-19 from Canada.ca
- Small Business Resources for dealing with COVID-19
A list of resources for charities created by CanadaHelps.
- A Charity’s Guide to Canada’s COVID-19 Governmental Supports and Programs
- Webinar: Leadership in Uncertain Times (March 31, 2020)
- Canadian Charities Connect Facebook Group
- Webinar: Online Giving for Your Church During Uncertain Times (March 25, 2020)
- Blog: COVID 19 is Accelerating our Move to Digital – Charities Must Act Now to Keep Up (March 25, 2020)
- Blog: Options For Your Scheduled Fundraising Event (March 23, 2020)
- Blog: 7 Creative Virtual Fundraising Ideas You Can Use To Replace Your Cancelled Event (March 23, 2020)
- Blog: Standing with you during these uncertain times (March 19, 2020)
- Webinar: Fundraising During Uncertain Times (March 19, 2020)
- Fundraising Template Email Letter (Google Doc)
Resources to support your fundraising efforts.
- How to Salvage Your Fundraising Event During the COVID 19 Crisis (Get Fully Funded)
- Urging Charities to Communicate With Donors (Chronicle of Philanthropy)
- 10 strategies for recession fundraising (Network for Good)
- SIIR: Fundraising in Tough Times (SSIR)
- Senator Ratna Omidvar on COVID-19 and its impact on the charity sector (The Charity Report)
Technology and tools resources to keep you productive.
- How to use Zoom Video Conferences During Coronavirus Social Distancing (Bustle.com)
- Comparison of virtual meeting + conference software (Google Sheet)
- How to set up a Slack neighbourhood hub (Google Doc)
- Guidelines for Configuring Zoom at Your Nonprofit (TechSoup)
Resources to help get you and your team setup to work efficiently while remote.
- A Guide to Remote Working for Nonprofits (Wild Apricot)
- How to Facilitate Effective Virtual Meetings (Beth Kanter)
- My Advice On Working From Home – After 10 Years of Doing It Successfully (Marketing for the Modern Nonprofit)
- You’re Working At Home During The Pandemic. Here’s How To Do It (And Keep The Peace) (WBUR)
- How Managers Can Support Remote Employees (Harvard Business Review)
- COVID-19: How Nonprofits Can Facilitate Inclusive Online Gatherings (TechSoup)
- 8 Tips for Nonprofit Leaders to Better Support Virtual Teams (Charity Village)
Legal resources for charities to consult.
- COVID-19: Regulatory Considerations for Charities and Non-Profits (Torkin | Manes)
- Corona Virus/COVID-19 charity issues – cancelling events, refunds and the possibility of a charitable donation (Canadian Charity Law)
Inspirational articles gathered from the sector.
- Coming together in isolation (Forbes)
- Social distance not social division (GivingTuesday.org)
- Charities Unite to Request Support and Collaboration as COVID-19 Crisis Leads to Increased Need and New Operational Risks
Curated by sector leaders, these lists are evolving and contain information touching on virtually every topic relevant to charities.