Canada’s first annual GivingTuesday was a tremendous success! According to our data, GivingTuesday increased charitable donations in Canada by 169% over the same Tuesday of last year.
We were so happy to be part of this amazing movement which encourages people to give back in any way they can. As a founding partner, we worked closely with GIV3 to bring this initiative to Canada, and show the world just how charitable and giving Canadians can be!
Our CEO, Marina Glogovac, had this to say: “GivingTuesday was a great way to jumpstart the giving season, but this is just the beginning. Charities typically see a huge increase in individual donations leading up to the holidays. As a platform for online giving, we want to ensure charities reach, and exceed their fundraising goals so they can continue to provide services that so many Canadians rely upon. We hope Canadians from coast to coast to coast are inspired to think about those in need throughout the giving season.”
So, what happens when over 1,300 Canadian charities and businesses come together in a collective, grass roots effort to launch engaging campaigns that promote giving back on the same day? The data we collected here at CanadaHelps shows that Canadians, in true fashion, respond generously!
- The number of charitable donations made using CanadaHelps increased by 169% over the same Tuesday last year and the total dollar value of donations increased by 91%.
- Charities that joined the movement and actively promoted GivingTuesday saw the greatest lift in donations. These charities saw an overall increase of 225% in number of donations received through CanadaHelps and 153% in the dollar value of donations.
- Over 77% of donations were made by first time donors to CanadaHelps, another indication of the power of GivingTuesday to engage new donors in charitable giving.
- Many Canadians chose to spread the word about GivingTuesday and shared the giving spirit by sending our Charity Gift Cards! These donations increased by 650% on GivingTuesday. With a charity gift card, the sender chooses the value and the recipient chooses the charity the gift supports.
The results of the day also demonstrated that the movement struck a chord with Canadians:
- More than 1,300 partners from across Canada including charities, volunteer organizations, corporations and foundations, joined the GivingTuesday movement.
- Hundreds of local and national media outlets, small and large, as well as politicians, celebrities and charitable sector advocates participated by offering extensive coverage in support of the day.
- Social media was full of GivingTuesday stories. At the peak of activity on December 3rd 2013, the #GivingTuesdayCa hashtag was trending in 2nd place. There were more than 12,000 shares of the hashtag on Twitter alone, with many organizations also engaging on Facebook and other social platforms. As a result, millions of Canadians were exposed to GivingTuesday messages with tens of thousands directly engaging in the conversation. GivingTuesday spawned hashtags like #unselfie (images of generosity), and phrases like “conspicuous compassion.”
The bottom line: Canadians were really, really excited about giving back! And here at CanadaHelps, we really excited to be a part of it all!