My adventure as a member of the board of Geordie started a little over a year ago, but my passion for theater is much older. As Geordie celebrates 40 years of presenting provocative and insightful theater to young audiences, I wanted to share a bit of my story, discuss Geordie's mission and accomplishments, and let you know how you can be a part of Geordie's future!
I had the great opportunity to perform in shows and direct plays throughout high school, CEGEP and university. Theater was the perfect opportunity to develop communication skills and understand new perspectives, all through the lens of unique and exciting live performances. Not only do young actors learn to act with poise and confidence, they often develop their ability to communicate non-verbally and are exposed to the intricacies of contrasting perspectives and complex emotions. I've always believed that the fictional world of a play can widen our horizons and provide insight into our lives!
Since its inception, Geordie has performed for over 2.5 million children, teens and their families, and continues to provide insightful theater to ALL audiences. Geordie does so today in various ways:
-The 2Play Tour is a seven months annual theater tour (the longest in Canada!) that makes its way across Quebec, Ontario and New Brunswick. The tour annually visits communities that would otherwise have no access to theater.
- The Mainstage Series is an annual season of plays for family audiences presented in downtown Montreal. The last show of this season, Viriginia Wolf, is an adaptation from the award-winning children's story by Kyo Maclear. The show representations will take place at the DB Clarke Theatre from May 1 to May 10.
- The Geordie Theatre School offers training to over 300 kids and teens every year, where they develop a solid foundation in acting. The fundamentals of Confidence, Creativity and Craft are central to Geordie's teaching philosophy.
Geordie's mission and lasting impact has deeply resonated with me - and I hope it does with you too! As we start to celebrate our 40th anniversary, I wanted to share with you some ways in which you can be a part of Geordie's future:
- Donate to our 40 for 40 campaign! Every 40$ donated will go a long way towards supporting Geordie's 40th anniversary and beyond.
- Be a part of our exciting Gin Tasting Fundraiser!
- Purchase tickets to Virginia Wolf, the last play of Geordie's 2020 seasons!
- Stay tuned for details about our forthcoming gala fundraiser!
Finally, don't hesitate to reach out with questions, or if you just want to talk some theater! Thank You!!