St. Patrick's Parish Fallowfield serves the growing area of Kanata South.
The diocesan records make reference to a “small wooden chapel” that was built in 1833. The chapel was known as the “Mission of Nepean” and priests from Bytown (Ottawa) and the parish of St. Philip’s in Richmond conducted services. The wooden chapel was too small to house the growing number of parishioners in the Fallowfield area and since there was no resident priest nor any person or family designated to take care of the chapel, it soon fell into disuse and decay. Bishop Guigues and the various priests assigned to serve the Fallowfield area stressed the need to construct a proper church for the 126 Catholic families living in the area. The Church, which cost $4,627 to build, was made of stone and well finished inside and was 73 feet long and 40 feet wide. Plans were made for a 20-foot extension for a sanctuary and a sacristy. A large crowd was on hand for October 21, 1866 when St. Patrick’s Church was blessed.
151 years later, our parish community is over 700 families strong and growing.