The Puck Stops Here!
par Ajax Pickering Hospital Foundation
- jeudi, 16 février 2017 de 4:30 Après-midi à 7:30 Après-midi (HNE)
- The Tap and Tankard 224 Brock Street South, Whitby, ON L1N 4K1
Information sur les billets
Join us for the night at the gala you always wanted to go to but you get to wear your favourite Hockey Team Jersey!
Wipe away the February Blues, cheer on your favourite hockey team and support the Compassion Fund at the Ajax Pickering Hospital
For $25 per ticket, you will receive
- one drink
- one raffle ticket for the big prize, drawn that night!
The Compassion Fund helps the hospital staff balance the “high-tech” with the “high touch” when looking after their patients.
Of course amazing donors help supply vital new equipment, help staff keep up with the latest advances in medicine and sometimes even help make sure new expansions and buildings are completed.
But the Compassion Fund will impact the patients at the Ajax Pickering Hospital on a whole different level.
Many patients arrive at our hospital in an emergency and have absolutely nothing with them. This is often true of the loved ones who accompany them. You might even have been in this situation yourself.
And others are here for an extended period, often months, while they wait to find a long-term home. And if they don’t have close family or friends, they probably don’t have the comforts of home or even simple personal care items.
It’s not hard to imagine how much it is appreciated when a hospital staff member can provide a personal care kit that might contain common items like a toothbrush and toothpaste, a comb, deodorant, shampoo, razor and even denture cream.
Staff have sometimes used their own money to purchase these types of items because they know that just being able to brush your hair – for example – can make someone feel so much better and help restore some of their dignity. Now, staff can access the Compassion Fund in the Ajax Pickering Hospital Foundation to help them have these items on hand.
And there are other simple ways the Fund makes a difference by helping supply:
- a phone charger for the nurses’ station so that a brand new father whose phone battery has run out can call everyone with the good news!
- t-shirts and sweat pants so that a patient who came in after a traumatic car accident and had to have their clothes cut off for an emergency situation can leave the hospital in a clean outfit;
- hand-knitted blankets from community volunteers, so that patients can have a homely snuggle;
- Christmas parcels that Foundation staff and volunteers put together for senior patients whose families are far away over the holiday season
And having a little extra budget tucked away so that our nurses and personal support workers can create a special moment like a cupcake birthday celebration means the world to these patients and to our staff.
It’s this human touch that makes our hospital so special and makes a hospital stay, especially a long one, so much easier on patients and family members.