Families faced with childhood cancer will receive support services to ease their pain.
Childcan raises awareness and funds for childhood cancer in order to support childhood cancer research and provide responsive and compassionate support services to families facing the journey through childhood cancer, from diagnosis through treatment, to recovery, or bereavement.
Compassionate, Respectful, Responsive, Family Centred, Flexible, Trustworthy
About CHILDCAN, THE CHILDHOOD CANCER RESEARCH ASSOCIATION
Childcan is an incorporated, registered, community based charity located in London, Ontario. Childcan has been supporting children and families through childhood cancer and beyond since 1974.
WHO DO WE SERVE
Childcan serves children and their families who have been diagnosed at Children's Hospital in London. Childcan mirrors the hospital's catchment area so serves families from Windsor or Sarnia, through Kitchener/Waterloo and north into Grey Bruce and beyond. Childcan works closely with the Paediatric Oncology team at Children's Hospital as well as satellite clinics at Windsor Regional Hospital and Grand River Hospital in Kitchener.
DID YOU KNOW
Founders Dr. L.L. Barrie de Vebber, Immunologist/Oncologist and parent David Cohen knew first-hand the challenges and hardships facing families when children are diagnosed with cancer. When it began, Childcan was the only organization offering support services in Canada.
The need for resources and information, financial and emotional support has not changed! That need continues today!
- Newly Diagnosed Family Pack: gift cards, resources and a special quilt and pillow case for each child
- Parking Support Programs: London, Windsor, Kitchener, Toronto
- Family Meal Vouchers Program: while child is in hospital
- Special Holiday Meals: for inpatient families who can’t be home for the holidays
- Individual Family Assistance Program: helping with the most urgent financial needs for families
- Support Groups: monthly support groups in London, Sarnia, and Windsor
- Family Fun Days: holiday parties in London and Windsor, annual trip to Canada’s Wonderland
- Post Secondary Bursaries: awarded annually for childhood cancer survivors
- Volunteer Tutoring Program, Early Years Program and Occupational Therapy resources to help children catch up in development missed during treatment
- Bereavement Support
Childcan does not receive any government or United Way funding and relies solely on the generosity of individual, corporate and community donors, grants and annual Childcan and community events held to support our organization’s families. Your support will go directly to assist the families we serve.