EXCITE. EDUCATE. EMPOWER.
Story Planet is a nonprofit organization working with under-resourced students in grades 2–12 to develop their voices and improve their literacy skills through non-traditional creative learning experiences.
Through the making and sharing of stories, we believe children build a sense of self worth, belonging, and creativity that will serve them throughout life.
What We Do
- Facilitate high-energy storymaking workshops integrating art and writing.
- Students leave our workshops with a published book of their work.
- Engage students from grades 1-12 in schools and public libraries.
- Complement and support the Ontario curriculum, particularly in literacy and language development.
- Provide one-to-one mentorship.
- Collaborate with local professional artists and writers, as well as local volunteers.
Stories are the vehicle through which we share who we are and what we do with others.
Through our programming, kids have crafted stories about hypnotic goats, participated in spoken word poetry workshops, created stop motion animation shorts all while sharpening their literacy skills (and their imaginations). To date, we've worked with over 6000 kids and teens in Toronto.
Story Planet is inspired by the US based 826 writing centres co-founded by best selling author, Dave Eggers. . Through their on-going mentorship we are able to learn from their incredible success as we shape our own unique centre here in Toronto.
WHY WE NEED DONATIONS
We keep all of our core programming free so that there are no barriers to participation. This means we are constantly fundraising. Even the smallest donations make a BIG difference!