SWAN Sudbury Training for Project Safer Horizon
par The Gilbert Centre for Social and Support Services
- jeudi, 28 mars 2019 de 2:00 Après-midi à 5:00 Après-midi (HAE)
- 80 Bradford Street, Entrance #5Main floor - Room 549 , Barrie, ON L4N 6S7
Information sur les billets
We are all invested in bettering the lives of those who have experienced sexual exploitation, and working towards preventing sexual exploitation in the future. Unfortunately, some of the beliefs we hold about sex work and trafficking can create unintentional barriers to accessing needed services.
Objectives of the training:
- Learn about a rights based model of addressing trafficking and sexual exploitation
- Review practical ways to work with and support people with lived experience in sex work
- Explore ways to create inclusive policy that supports people who have lived experience with sex work.
SWANS’ mission is to improve the overall health and wellbeing of self-identified women who work or have worked in the sex industry through innovative, holistic, and effective approaches to sexual health, community inclusion, access to services and supports, and to improve the protection of their human rights. We promote safer personal and working conditions through education, advocacy, referral and peer support. We believe that Sex Workers are valuable contributing members of our community and are entitled to the same rights as all other human beings.
It is our intention to support sex workers where they are at in terms of their own self-determined needs assessment. We offer educational training and information to service providers who want to make their services more accessible and relevant to sex workers. We are a by sex workers for sex workers’ organization who has developed strong allied relationships with community members who understand that sex work is work and who respect people with lived experience as the holders of valuable knowledge, wisdom and experience.