The Assunnah Muslims Association was established in 1992 to serve the Muslim community in Ottawa South. AMA grew with time. Today, AMA provides space, programs and services to Muslims and the community at large.
With a committed focus on building a strong Muslim community, AMA envisions to inspire a more spiritual and caring community.
Our organization started with humble beginnings in 1992. Year over year, we continued to grow our team, our portfolio of programs, and our impact in the community.
In 2004 we became a registered charity with the CRA.
In 2016 we completed the construction on 1216 Hunt Club Rd.
Presently, our mission is to create a welcoming community for all through spiritual uplifting, ed-
ucation, community engagement and promoting diversity and equity.
We accomplish this through our two main entities: AMA Community Centre and Masjid ar-Rahmah (Mosque of Mercy).
Masjid ar-Rahmah (Mosque of Mercy) promotes spiritual development and Islamic awareness
to our community here in Ottawa and around the globe.
The AMA Community Centre focuses on community development and caters to people from all faiths and backgrounds. AMA Centre is not just a masjid for prayers. Here, we offer all kinds of social and human services to strengthen surrounding neighbourhoods and support the whole society.
There is significant community demand for AMA to provide adequate programs and services pertaining to religious, social, educational and recreational needs in our Masjid and Centre.
To support the community, our team invests heavily in the design and implementation of new programs and services so we can continue to serve our community.
Our programs focus on infusing a balance of recreation, socialization, education, spiritual and community development, and social service support for all ages.
From homework clubs, to summer camps, weekend courses, to health workshops with professional facilitators, there is no shortage of activities for all demographics.
Our Masjid and Centre has a diverse portfolio of programs and each year we:
- Serve over 3,000 meals to the homeless and needy in shelters across Ottawa.
- Give 200+ guided tours of our Masjid and Centre to people from all faiths
- Teach 500+ students who attend our schools for Qur’an, Arabic, and Islamic Studies.
- Serve seniors in monthly social gatherings and educational workshops.
- Host blood donor clinics with the Canadian Blood Services. The blood donations they received were used for critical, life-saving needs at our local hospitals.
- Provide fitness and swimming classes for men and women.
- Provide teenage youth with a variety of activities to enjoy recreation, socialization, form new friendships, and develop new skills.
- Organize multi-day Islamic courses where 100s of students learn more about their faith by studying Fiqh, Tafseer, Seerah and more; and
- Provide children & youth a safe space and programming during after school hours.