The Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum's mission is to serve Port Colborne’s residents and visitors by preserving, exhibiting, and interpreting the artifacts and archives of Port Colborne and Humberstone.
The Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum opened its doors to the public for the first time on May 31, 1975, following many months of preparation and planning by a Steering Committee which was established in January of 1974 to develop a Museum in the former Arabella Williams' home at 280 King St. in downtown Port Colborne. The Museum is open daily, 12 noon to 5 p.m. from May to December.
The Museum and Heritage Village feature a century of heritage buildings in a landscaped setting of historic gardens, pathways, trees and flowers, picket fences, and a memorial pavilion with picnic tables and benches.The Village includes the original 1869 Georgian-revival style Home and Carriage House of Arabella Williams which houses the main exhibit galleries, Humberstone's first log schoolhouse where school tours are held, the 1850 log home of John and Sally Sherk, the F.W. Woods and Sons 1880 Marine Blacksmith Shop, a 1915 Edwardian Cottage, which is the home of Arabella's Tea Room, where volunteers serve Afternoon Tea with hot homemade tea biscuits and preserves, a Marine Exhibit Lighthouse, a reproduction of the parapet of Port Colborne's Lighthouse, which displays marine artifacts and ship models, and a Heritage Resource Centre which holds the Museums Reserve Collection and is open for research by appointment.
The Museum interprets and exhibits the history of Port Colborne and the Welland Canal. Marine artifacts include the Wheelhouse from the Yvon Dupre Jr. Tug Boat, the anchor from the Raleigh and a Lifeboat from the S.S. Hochelaga.