St John's, Peterborough's oldest church established in 1826, sits in Nogojiwanong, the traditional territory of the Mississauga Anishinaabe (Williams Treaty of 1923).
This church is a place of prayer and encounter with God. The stones of our walls have sheltered people seeking the presence of the Holy One for almost two centuries. This place of worship has been made hallowed by the prayers of generations and all are welcome to join hearts and voices to theirs.
St John's is an inclusive community of faith in the Anglican tradition: we welcome saints and sinners, people of faith and of no faith, people who are sure they know everything and those who are full of questions. Men and women may share equally in the life and leadership of our church and we worship with and serve people of different ethnicities, politics, gender expressions, economic circumstances, and abilities. This church belongs to God, so all of God's children are welcome here.
We have a vision for ministry at St John's that is uplifting, joyful, and nourishing for the soul. We are committed to being:
- people learning about Jesus and growing in discipleship as we seek to be active in the kingdom he proclaimed;
- a servant community in our city committed to outreach and issues of justice; and,
- good stewards of creation and of all the resources that have been placed in our hands.