2b theatre company strives to stimulate the mind and to awaken the spirit by producing theatre that is vital, innovative and challenging. Based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, 2b theatre company creates, develops, and presents works for the regional, national and international stages.
This year, 2b celebrates our 20th season creating internationally acclaimed theatre from our home in Halifax. We could not do it without our strong community of donors. We invite you to join that community. Your support makes a world of difference.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, this season looks a little different. We've had to postpone our world premiere of Softly, now and our tours of Old Stock: a Refugee Love Story to Poland and Toronto. Despite these losses, in our 20th season we have played to 20,157 audience members, the second highest total in our organization’s history.
As we wait until its safe to be together again, we are continuing to create original works that explores what it means to be. Right now, we're working on:
- One Discordant Violin, Anthony Black’s adaptation of a short story by Yann Martel (author of Life of Pi) is being adapted into an immersive digital experience.
- Red Like Fruit, a new play written by Hannah Moscovitch, directed by 2b Co-Artistic Director Christian Barry. The piecedelves into many of the contradictions and grey areas of complicity, consent, and traumatic memory, in the post #MeToo era. Writing is underway, and we look forward to hosting a digital workshop.
- Shrodinger’s Cash written by Co-Artistic Director Anthony Black. The piece explores the illusory nature of money, the tiny house movement, economic think-tanks, Halifax’s prominent Shambhala Buddhist community, and winter surfing in Nova Scotia.
- The Story of Mr. Wright, a 2011 2b original, is being adapted into a radio play.
- Revisited, our seminal 2007 show, is being redesigned to be enjoyed by permissibly small groups of live audience members once that becomes a safe option.
100% of your donation goes to our 2b Creative Annual Fund - a dependable source of revenue that helps 2b create vital new works for Halifax and the world. Please consider supporting 2b.
What People Are Saying
"It's always a pleasure when 2b theatre comes to town."
— Eye Weekly, Toronto
"5 stars... a thing of raw and unmissable beauty"
— Herald Scotland (Old Stock: A Refugee Love Story), Read More
"5 stars... A marvel of 21st century storytelling"
— Scotland Herald (Invisible Atom)
"It’s a tour de force performance that mesmerizes with its deft wit and razor sharp humour. 4 stars (out of 4) "
— The Calgary Sun (The God That Comes)
"4 stars... Critic’s Pick "
— The Times, London (When it Rains)
"The internationally acclaimed 2b theatre company is known for its crisp, highly stylized productions, and director Christian Barry has seamlessly melded his company’s renowned production elements with demanding performances from his actors."
— The Globe and Mail (Review of What A Young Wife Ought To Know), Read More