The AWO provides settlement services to all newcomers, with a special focus on women, their families, refugees and people who have experienced war and persecution. The AWO has welcomed newcomers from around the world, including Central Asia, the Middle East, East Asia, Eastern European, and Africa, assisting them in the first stages of their settlement process. These first steps taken by newcomers, finding a home, work, learning English, and finding out about Canada’s legal system and health care are all crucial to ensuring that each newcomer has a foundation for building a healthy life in Canada.
To meet the ever-changing needs of newcomers our programming includes a range of activities that have resulted in more women and their families having access to and interactions their network of peers and an increased involvement in their communities. We offer the following services and programming:
- Settlement Services (Orientation)
- English Language Classes and Conversation Circles
- Women-only English Classes
- Translation and Interpretation Services
- Workshops on Citizenship, Canadian Laws, Health Care
- Programs for Seniors and for Youth and Children