Provide relevant and accessible services and programs, and foster connections for individuals, families and communities affected by, living with or are at risk of HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C.
About AIDS PROGRAMS SOUTH SASKATCHEWAN INC.
Since 1985, AIDS Programs South Saskatchewan (APSS) has been helping men, women and children living with HIV/AIDS. We are a community-based non-profit registered charitable organization. Our goal is to provide those living with HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C (HCV) and those at risk of contracting the virus, with relevant and current information and support services.
Our Programs and Services:
- The Client Care program works directly with people living with HIV/AIDS. Our Client Care Coordinator works with individuals to determine personal needs and together design supportive plans which may include: practical needs (food, clothing), health services (transportation, medication, and nutrition), and support (counseling, alternative treatments).
- Harm reduction programs such as our Needle Exchange program and condom distribution.
- Education services that offer free HIV/HCV/STI presentations to schools, community centres, reserves, and correctional facilities. We also train for Naloxone and distribute kits.
- We have a nurse every Thursday to test for HIV, Hepatitis A/B/C, STI's, and pregnancy.
- Provide practicums for nursing and social work students who then design the Tender Loving Care (TLC) program which offer a healthy snack, education regarding specific health/social issues each week, and a quick health checkup (blood pressure/blood sugar).