AMISTAD CANADA is dedicated to improving the lives of people in need through better health, education and social justice. Our projects are in Mexico.
AMISTAD CANADA will appeal to:
- Canadians who feel a strong connection to Mexico because they are residents or snowbirds and want to respond to the many Mexicans who have welcomed them into their country;
- Canadians whose work and personal lives relate to our program activities;
- Canadians with personal and family ties to Latin America;
- And, of course, we hope it will appeal to all Canadians who are committed to helping people in need wherever they are.
About AMISTAD CANADA
AMISTAD CANADA currently works with eight Mexican non-profits.
With LA BIBLIOTECA DE SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE, we have a Canadian Education Project, which provides scholarships, free classes and books for young Mexican students.
With CASA, a centre for family and reproductive health, we have two projects. They help to fund:
- a Clinical Coordinator in CASA's School of Professional Midwifery and Maternity Hospital;
- the establishment of libraries in pre- and primary-schools in rural communities.
With the CHILDREN’S ART FOUNDATION, by contributing to teacher salaries and the purchase of supplies, we help to provide a recognized art education program for disadvantaged children.
With FEED THE HUNGRY we sponsor two school kitchens, thereby helping FTH to deliver balanced meals, nutrition education, and ancillary programs to hungry children in economically disadvantaged communities.
With JOVENES ADELANTE we provide scholarships, computers and other services to qualified students in San Miguel de Allende who seek a university education.
With OPERA SAN MIGUEL we provide grants for opera students that help them to develop their skills, obtain mentoring and seek performance opportunities.
With PATRONATO PRO NIÑOS, by contributing to the purchase and maintenance of mobile dental vans, we are helping to bring dental and other medical care to children from economically disadvantaged families in rural areas of San Miguel.
With the Programa pro NIÑOS INCAPACITADOS del Lago we provide counseling and financial help to poor Mexican families in the Lake Chapala area who have children with serious disabilities or life threatening illnesses.