As COVID-19 reaches Africa, there is a mounting threat to the vulnerable communities we are working with to improve health.
With many people living in close quarters without the water they need to wash hands or access to virus prevention information, the spread of COVID-19 in will be swift.
And, with a fragile or in some cases non-existent health care system that is already overburdened with ongoing disease outbreaks and other life-threatening health issues, the situation is particularly urgent.
That’s why we are working tirelessly with governments and partners on the ground to help slow the spread of COVID-19. With our in-depth knowledge of African health services and systems, our ongoing relationships and work with communities, and our wide network throughout sub-Saharan Africa, we are already:
• supporting national governments and institutes to organize preventive measures and mount responses;
• providing training on infection, prevention and control measures to health workers, including community health workers who are the first point of contact for health information in rural, remote and marginalized communities such as urban slums;
• disseminating educational materials to keep communities informed;
• providing regular updates to health care workers;
• advising on and facilitating transport of specimens to national testing laboratories and
Now more than ever, we need your support to slow the spread of the coronavirus in Africa. We are all affected by this unprecedented global health emergency, however, it is the most vulnerable – the poor, the elderly, the disenfranchised, and those without access to healthcare who face the greatest risk.
Please help today!