Established in 2000, ASUQ includes more than 184 members of Quebec .. The mission of the organization is to sensibilier , develop independence , improve quality of life for deaf-blind people and people Usher syndrome. The ASUQ gives Braille training, touch , touch in interpretation and accompaniment. Also , the ASUQ organizes several social activities to encourage members to break their isolation, developing self and identity. The Intervention ASUQ offers moral support to clients with Usher syndrome who have difficulty accepting
Usher syndrome is a degenerative disease characterized by the association of a conventional pigmentary retinopathy with bilateral congenital sensorineural hearing loss that can lead to blindness,
- a hesitant gait and awkward because of the absence of the vestibule (inner ear); • when they are in the dark and in dark places, people have difficulty seeing;
- They also have great difficulty perceiving the signs when the gestures of sign language are implemented rapidly; • they have difficulties to head up the stairs and crowded places;
- they have unpleasant feelings when someone approaches because of the limitations of the visual field. ;
- they have trouble reading signs, road signs, bus numbers, etc. ;
- they have difficulties to participate in a group conversation because they have limitations of their field of vision.
What People Are Saying
"Out of sight and close to hand"