Avalanche Canada - the Home of Public Avalanche Safety in Canada
Avalanche Canada is a non-government, not-for-profit organization dedicated to public avalanche safety. We issue daily avalanche forecasts throughout the winter for much of the mountainous regions of western Canada, providing this free information via our website and our app, Avalanche Canada Mobile. We also coordinate and deliver avalanche awareness and education programs, provide curriculum and support to instructors of Avalanche Canada training programs, act as a central point-of-contact for avalanche information, and work closely with many different avalanche research projects, both at home and abroad.
We've published a booklet describing our work. Please click here to take a look.
To eliminate avalanche fatalities and injuries in Canada.
To minimize public risk in avalanche terrain by providing leadership, development, communication, coordination and delivery of public avalanche safety education, warnings, products, and services.
- We are committed to awareness, training, and safety for the general public and for all who travel in avalanche terrain.
- We are an inclusive and diverse organization that provides services to all winter recreation activity participants.
- We strive to ensure that all programs, services, and materials are based on accurate research and evidence.
- We engage in strategic relationships and alliances to further the reach of our programs and messages.
- We investigate to understand all factors that contribute to human incidents in avalanche terrain and support that investigation by encouraging research.
- We inspire people to safely enjoy recreation and travel in the winter backcountry environment.
- We value our staff and community’s collective strength, energy and leadership.
- We create a fun, healthy, professional, and sustainable workplace, and provide our staff with opportunities to grow and thrive.
- We anticipate and respond to challenges and changes with creativity, collaboration, courage and bold enthusiasm.
What People Are Saying
"Avalanche Canada sets the global standard for providing avalanche awareness programs. With their development of innovative tools and informative reporting systems, the organization provides backcountry users with user-friendly, relevant and accurate advice that inform safe travel decisions. "
— John Irvine, Manager Global Community Marketing, ARC'TERYX
"Recreation Sites Trails BC is responsible for providing safe, quality recreational opportunities for the public and we have been supporters of Avalanche Canada's work for many years. AvCan's contribution to winter backcountry safety is invaluable and we are proud to support their efforts."
— John Hawkings, Director Recreation Sites & Trails BC
"The Fernie Snowmobile Association would like to extend our sincerest THANK-YOU to the Avalanche Canada South Rockies Field Team once again this season! We are so grateful for the continued partnership and joint efforts to promote backcountry safety and awareness within the Elk Valley. "
— Fernie Snowmobile Association Executive Team