The Back Door Mission for the Relief of Poverty works to relieve the burdens of poverty and social dislocation within the economically deprived and street population of Oshawa. ? We endeavour to meet whatever need an individual brings to us or find out who can wherever possible. ??
Some of our regular services are:
- Meal Tickets: We distribute more than 13,000 tickets for free meals at St. Vincent’s Kitchen annually to the poor and homeless. Food security remains a major issue for many, especially proper nutrition.
- Drop-in Centre: Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday mornings, we offer a shelter out of the cold and rain, meals and a friendly place to meet and socialize.
- Food Pantry and Clothing: We have donated clothing and a small pantry of non-perishable food to meet urgent needs.
- Community Meals: Every few months we host free community meals. The main events are our Christmas Party in December, where everyone receives a gift bag, and our June Barbeque. We typically serve between 175 and 250.
- Referrals: We provide connections to social service, health care, and other agencies where specialized needs can be met. Many folks on the street are lost in finding help.
- Community Development: We sit on the Durham Advisory Committee on Homelessness and other local bodies, and work with other community groups to advocate for social justice and poverty reduction.
- Income tax returns
- Foot Care
What People Are Saying
"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
— St. Francis of Assisi