About Our Charity
Bryony House, also known as the Halifax Transition House Association of Nova Scotia, has been improving the lives of women and children who experience intimate partner violence since 1980. As a feminist organization, we believe that all women and their children can live free from abuse. Bryony House ensures that women and their children are safe and have the supports needed to begin the long process of healing. From this step forward woman can create a life that is free of abuse for them and their children.
Bryony House is committed to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of all women who enter our shelter or take part in our ‘Outreach’ programming. As a 24-hour emergency shelter, we are always available by phone for women who are experiencing crisis, need a safe place to stay or to develop safety plans. We also offer a comprehensive children’s support program that offers supportive play time, one on one and help with parenting strategies. It’s important that children have supports uniquely designed to help them heal from abuse along side mom.
As the largest women’s shelter in the Atlantic, here is a short overview of our main programs & services:
- 24-hour emergency distress line
- 24-hour emergency shelter
- Outreach programs and one on one counseling for those who have left the shelter or are not yet ready to go to the shelter.
- Daily Childcare Support Programs to assist children in sharing their stories and healing
- Mom’s programs and support groups
- Safety Planning, including support to find new housing, etc.
- Referral to community resources