The Chinook Books for Babies Society promotes, celebrates and supports early literacy in southern Alberta. Recognizing reading as the educational cornerstone of life, Books for Babies works with organizations and agencies in the region to encourage literacy by supplying book bag kits to families with newborn babies. The Society partners with many organizations to make this possible. Partners include: Alberta Health Services, participating community literacy organizations and the Chinook Arch Regional Library System.
Families with newborn babies receive a bag and use the materials to encourage their children to love books and make reading an important part of their daily life.
The benefits of a family literacy program like Books for Babies are many!
Here are just a few...
- families are shown how to make reading a pleasurable and valued activity
- reading together nurtures and helps strengthen parent-child bonds
- reading together encourages a positive attitude toward life-long learning
- some parents who need to increase their literacy skills may seek help in adult literacy programs for the sake of their children and
- provides fun for the entire family!