Registered Name: Citadel + Compagnie

Business Number: 822475729RR0001

Citadel + Compagnie is an award-winning Toronto-based professional dance organization that creates, produces and presents works on local, national and international scales from its home base in a former Salvation Army Citadel in Regent Park. Since 2007, C+C has renovated, revamped and transformed The Citadel into a place where artists rehearse, create and perform and where the community learns, explores and shares.

Citadel Online

Citadel Online is a 10-week online performing arts series that looks back at some of the wonderful works that have taken place at The Citadel over the years, highlighting both previously presented Bright Nights artists and Citadel + Compagnie repertoire.

Developed as a response to our current state of isolation due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the series exists as a reminder of the grace, beauty and humanity that dance can uniquely offer.

Our Citadel Online Fundraising Campaign asks patrons to consider making a donation in support of our featured artists. 75% of funds raised will go directly to the artists presented, with the remaining 25% going towards Citadel + Compagnie so that we may continue to work to provide essential creation and presentation opportunities within the Toronto dance community.

Citadel + Compagnie

Led by artistic director, Laurence Lemieux, C+C’s repertoire includes intimate and emotionally honest productions featuring some of Canada’s greatest dancers and choreographers.

After nine years as artistic director of the National Ballet of Canada (1996-2005), James Kudelka was named C+C’s resident choreographer in 2008. This relationship has allowed Kudelka to revisit some of his finest works and made way for challenging new contemporary creations. The presence of Kudelka’s work at C+C has expanded the company’s public recognition, and increased audiences eager to see the work of one of the country’s finest choreographers.

Originally named Coleman Lemieux & Compagnie, founded by Bill Coleman and Laurence Lemieux in 2000, the company was renamed Citadel + Compagnie in 2017 to better reflect the stabilizing effect the ownership of The Citadel has had on the organization. The change also signifies a maturing of the organization, from a husband-and-wife run company to a company with a renewed mandate of fostering cultural participation and nurturing creative excellence.

What People Are Saying

"I am in awe of C+C’s resilience, commitment and passion for all that you do for the dance community and for Regent Park. You have made a difference in so many people’s lives, both in the arts and surrounding communities through endless hours of hard work and diligence."

— A recent donor

Find Out More About This Charity