Over the past 40 years, the supportive physical and social space provided by CommunityWise has allowed hundreds of organizations, most of whom are small grassroots and nonprofit groups, to undertake their programs and activities with the stability and flexibility necessary for maximum impact.
WHY THE FUNDRAISER?
Here’s the thing: at our core, we're a small nonprofit supporting other small nonprofits. As our unique, historic, and storied building grows forever older, the costs to operate it have increased. We’ve also experienced some unanticipated costs in 2018. While the bulk of our revenue for the day-to-day running of the building comes from our AMAZING members through office and room rentals, we also require donations in order to thrive. Your donation will go directly to much-needed building upkeep and repairs and will support the continued provision of subsidized space, shared services, and collaboration for small nonprofit and grassroots groups in Calgary.
Our FUNDRAISING GOAL is to raise $5000 in 2018.
Until December 31, we’ll be providing an opportunity for you to learn more about our shared home. Each time $250 is collectively raised, we’ll reveal a hidden secret or charm about the Old Y Building on CommunityWise’s social media platforms with a story attached to it. Donors will also be emailed updates containing these reveals and will be invited to a celebration event (exact date to-be-determined). You can additionally follow along with story updates here.
Some examples of building costs and related lifespans:
- Painting the Common Room: -$4000 (10 years)
- Small office re-carpet: $400 (10 years)
- Large office or boardroom re-carpet: $800 (10 years)
- Annual fire system inspection: $2000 (1 year)
- Boiler valves replacement: $2500
- 1 historic radiator line repair: $250-$400 (0-300 years)
- 1 water line repair: $600-$900 (0-200 years)
- New kitchen appliances: $1200-$2000 (10 years)
- 1 wireless Internet booster: $350
- Steam cleaner: $400 (5 years)
- Vacuum: $300 (3 years)
- Bathroom sink and faucet replacement: $300 (20 years)
- 1 new bathroom floor: $300 (15 years)
- Gas for December: $1400
- Broken window: $300-$950
- Snow shoveling: $350/month
- 1 electric light ballast repair: $50
Help us preserve our historical foundations as a community-driven nonprofit hub by making a contribution to our operating costs! ANY AMOUNT genuinely goes a long way for us. Donate via Canada Helps today and receive a charitable receipt!