The Didsbury Municipal Library and the Town of Didsbury are writing new history for our local library … a history that began over 100 years ago.
The recent announcement made by the Town of Didsbury to essentially double the size of our existing facility will ensure that the already long-standing legacy of library services and programs within our community will continue well into the future. Established in 1908 by Didsbury Councillors and business people, the Didsbury Free Library was the first town in Alberta to earn a grant under the Public Libraries Act, granted by Premier Rutherford in 1909.
Over the last ten years, as eBooks and downloadable library media have been introduced, Didsbury residents have adopted those new technologies, while continuing to checkout more and more physical library materials. Visits to the library increase annually. As our community grows and new families move in, the library strives to implement innovative programs and materials for them: backpacks filled with books and engaging tools and equipment, puppets, MakerSpace technologies, and more books. While the boomer generation ages and new care facilities open up, staff have also stepped up with award-winning outreach services to enhance their quality of life. We have modified and adapted to be as flexible as we could over the last 15 years, but we can squeeze no more out of this space. We can no longer provide the quiet spaces and meeting places that are often needed by our citizens.