Called by Jesus through baptism into his passion, death and resurrection and anointed by the Spirit, we, the people of God in the Diocese of London, are to be living signs of Christ’s presence in the world today. United in Christ, the Bread of Life, we commit ourselves to carrying out the mission of proclaiming the coming of the kingdom of God in our time. We embrace the Gospel – believing what we read, preaching what we believe, and practicing what we preach.
About Our Charity
The Diocese of London, established in 1856, serves 444,000 Catholics in Elgin, Essex, Huron, Kent, Lambton, Middlesex, Norfolk, Oxford and Perth counties in SW Ontario.
The first Bishop of London was Bishop Pinsoneault (1856–66). Bishop Walsh (1867–89) spearheaded the construction of St. Peter’s Cathedral. Bishop O’Connor (1890–99) and Bishop McEvay (1899–1908) were fervent promoters of separate school education. Bishop Fallon (1909–31) founded St. Peter’s Seminary and supported the establishment of Brescia College.
During the Great Depression, Bishop Kidd (1931–50) kept the diocese financially sound. Bishop Cody (1950–63) established Peruvian missions and King’s University College. Bishop Carter (1964–78) implemented the changes of Vatican II. Bishop Sherlock (1978–2002) made many administrative changes, including involving lay people in the Church.
Bishop Fabbro (2002-) is known for his pastoral planning and focus on healing, revitalization and progress.