Eating disorders are severe and debilitating mental illnesses with the highest mortality of any mental illness. The burden of eating disorders on individuals, their families and their communities is immeasurable. To this end, the Eating Disorders Foundation of Canada is committed to raising funds to support evidence-based care for, research into, and increased awareness about eating disorders in Canada. Partnering with other organizations and individuals, the Eating Disorders Foundation of Canada contributes to support a stronger voice for those who suffer from eating disorders.
Our objectives are simple:
- To invest in research that promotes effective treatment for eating disorders;
- To invest in interdisciplinary clinical education and training for those who treat individuals with eating disorders in order to enhance the delivery of evidence-based care;
- To advocate for the prevention of eating disorders and the provision of and access to evidence-based eating disorder services;
- To stimulate and support research in the field of eating disorders.
- To advocate for greater public awareness and education, and to reduce stigma about eating disorders;
- To encourage and support the development of supportive housing for those recovering from eating disorders in communities where it does not exist;
- To be a resource for individuals and their families who cannot access eating disorder care; and,
- To promote the field of eating disorders.