The Edmonton Chevra Kadisha (Holy Society) was established in 1907. It is a wholly volunteer association, comprised of dedicated men and women who give their time and energy to organize and perform all the religiously required tasks of burying Jewish deceased. The Chevra Kadisha owns and operates the Edmonton Jewish Cemetery as a service to the community.
In 1935, a permanent chapel was built at the cemetery. This chapel was renovated in the mid-1990s and is often used for services. To serve Edmonton’s growing Jewish community a much larger facility, the Chesed Shel Emes, was built in 1963.
We rely on members of the Jewish Community to support the work of the Chevra Kadisha.
Fundraising is now underway to support the construction of Edmonton's second Jewish cemetery.