Ernestine’s Women’s Shelter is an organization run by women for women.
Ernestine's provides support and shelter for women and children escaping violence.
Ernestine’s assists women and their children in rebuilding their lives by providing crisis intervention and a range of holistic support services, while acknowledging the multitude of issues facing survivors of abuse.
Ernestine’s adapts its services to honour diversity and the unique needs of the individual.
Ernestine’s promotes awareness, education and advocates for early intervention and prevention.
Ernestine's Women's Shelter
… is here to provide safe shelter and a home, along with 24-hour crisis assistance, support programs, and counselling for women and children fleeing violence and abuse.
… also offers lifelines to women and children within the community through our Outreach Program, which includes access to our on-site donation and food bank.
… has supported over 10,000 women and children since opening its doors in 1983.
… operates from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive (ARAO) framework, honouring diversity and the unique needs of the individual.
… is a United Way Member Agency.
Most of the women and children that arrive at the shelter often do so with just the clothes on their back and no one else to turn to for help. During their stay at the shelter – which ranges from six months to a year – we make sure that from the moment they step into the shelter, the women and children feel welcomed and cared for.
By supporting our shelter, our donors have the chance to make a meaningful impact on the lives of the women and their children and help us provide our clients with all the basic necessities they need.
Examples of the supplies and support we provide our clients with include:
- 24-hour crisis counselling as well as individualized and group-based counselling support
- A Welcome Package with new bedding, toiletries, towels, seasonal clothing, and shoes
- Medical and prescription expenses that aren’t covered by OHIP
- Assistance and support in dealing with medical, legal, immigration, and housing issues, including accompanying to appointments and family court dates and employment readiness support
- Children’s clothing and shoes, baby supplies, including diapers, formula, stroller, car seat, and age-appropriate toys,
- School kits including backpacks and school supplies.
While Ernestine’s receives funding from the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services and the United Way, the shelter must still fundraise over $500,000 each year to continue to deliver these essential services and programs to our clients, particularly those that support youth and children.
- $30 – Baby & Toddler Kit: This will provide a mother with diapers, formula, and baby food for her baby/toddler.
- $50 – A Child’s Lunch For A Month: This will provide a child with nutritious lunches for a month.
- $100 – Warm Winter Clothes For A Child: This will provide a child with warm clothing for the winter season.
- $500 – “New Start” Kit: This will provide a woman or a family with a “New Start” Kit upon their departure from the shelter. Items include bedding, towels, toiletries, as well as small household and kitchen supplies.
- $1,000 – Feed 3 Shelter Clients For A Month: This will provide three in-house clients at the shelter with nutritious meals for a month.
To find out more about our programs and how you can help, please visit www.ernestines.ca.