Environmental Youth Alliance (EYA) is a local youth driven non-profit organization dedicated to the health of our urban environment, our planet & the well-being of its people. By providing young people with meaningful employment and volunteer opportunities in projects that benefit our communities, we support our environment socially as well as ecologically.
INSPIRED BY YOUNG PEOPLE
Our confidence in young people to create effective action comes from 23 years of experience in training thousands of youth at EYA. We have a long history of business, government, education and community organizations seeking support from our youth-led programs so as to achieve tangible and positive results in areas such as climate change, food security, urban greening resource consumption, and social justice. The goodwill we engender from our community partners emerges from experiencing the benefits of youth engagement: invigoration, resourcefulness, improved problem-solving skills, deepened critical consciousness, and a greater sense of purpose and concern for social and ecological justice in their communities.
About Our Charity
URBAN AGRICULTURE/COMMUNITY FOOD EDUCATION PROGRAM
Since 1991, thousands of young people have been in touch with our food & garden initiatives.
Current programs include:
1) Youth and Urban Agriculture -training over 200 youth annually in urban organic agriculture and facilitation of community food programs
2) Growing Kids - food & garden education for low income elementary schools
3) Community Nursery - Working with 16 youth/year to grow over 3000 vegetable seedlings for low income populations
4) Pollinator's Paradise - youth engagement in bees and creating wildlife habitat
5) Therapeutic Gardening - working outside and in the garden with youth suffering from mental illness for therapeutic purposes
6) TreeKeepers - Helping Vancouver citizens grow and appreciate the urban forest