Ghost River’s artistic mission is to approach the creation of live performance in the spirit of collaboration – devising and presenting original Canadian theatre that is innovative, accessible and highly theatrical. Our productions address challenging contemporary and topical issues and themes, while emphasizing the personal, human experience.
Mission Statement and Objectives
• To create bold new theatrical experiences that challenge audiences to examine the conditions under which they live;
• To open them up to new ways of looking at their communities;
• To provoke them to change their world for the better.
About Ghost River Theatre Society
Over our twenty-year history, Ghost River Theatre has created and toured some of the most thoughtful, daring, imaginative, and seemingly impossible work that this country has produced. Under difficult political conditions and at times with nothing more than a keen desire to create, to engage and to push the boundaries of live performance; Ghost River Theatre has managed to establish itself firmly as a leader in both the Alberta and national cultural ecologies.
For an independent company Ghost River has consistently punched above its weight garnering:
• 15 Betty Mitchell awards, 55 nominations;
• 32 original productions since 1992;
• Appearances at Magnetic North, High Performance Rodeo, Canada’s National Arts Centre, the Pride of Place Festival (UK), SummerWorks National Series and Montreal’s Les 20 jours du theatre a risqué;
• Winning back-to-back Betty Mitchell Award for Outstanding Production of a Play for The Highest Step in the World (2010) and ONE (2011).
What People Are Saying
"“ ...NO ONE IS BETTER AT MOUNTING A TOTALLY UNIQUE AND EXQUISITELY CREATIVE PIECE OF WORK THAN GHOST RIVER THEATRE.” "
— Jessica Goldman, CBC Radio Reviewer