Healing Through Music
Make Music Matter uses the creative process as a therapeutic tool to help empower marginalized individuals and communities.
Our innovative Healing in Harmony music therapy program is centered on the belief that music can be an integral part of a community-driven, holistic healing model. Participants include survivors of sexual violence, abandoned children, children of child-headed households, caregivers, and other vulnerable populations.
The Healing in Harmony model
- Working in tandem with a trained psychologist and music producer, participants write, record, and professionally produce songs about their emotions and experiences.
- The process has a profound effect on psychological healing and the restoration of a supportive, healing community.
- The artists are advocates, publicly disseminating their music through local radio broadcasts, social media, community concerts, and CD distribution, reducing stigma about sexual violence and more. In early 2018, we announced a partnership with Warner Music Canada to distribute the recorded songs via international streaming platforms and digital storefronts.
Where we work
At Panzi Hospital in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the Healing in Harmony program has successfully integrated into the holistic treatment of survivors of sexual violence. The program, developed in close partnership with 2018 Nobel Peace Prize winner Dr. Denis Mukwege, has yielded groundbreaking results in the reduction of levels of anxiety, depression, and PTSD through its unique approach.
We are currently working with partners in the DRC, Rwanda, Turkey, and Iraq to expand programming. We are also exploring opportunities to work with Canada’s aboriginal communities.
Current Healing in Harmony sites include:
- Maison Dorcas at Panzi Hospital, Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Mulamba, Democratic Republic of Congo (One-Stop Centre of Panzi Hospital)
- Uyisenga Ni Manzi, Kigali, Rwanda
- The Mukwege Foundation, The Hague, Netherlands
- Beni, Democratic Republic of Congo | World Vision DRC (affiliate site)
- Katana, Democratic Republic of Congo| IMA World Health at Katana (affiliate site)
We are currently documenting the Healing in Harmony model and developing resources to bring the program to scale with new partners and affiliate sites. Stay tuned for updates in the new year!
What People Are Saying
"The program is creating a breakthrough in healing. We're witnessing transformative change in the lives of women, children, their families, and vulnerable community members we serve. As survivors and patients transcend their suffering, we hear their voices anew, and together we are delivered to hope."
— Dr. Denis Mukwege, Nobel Peace Prize winner, Director - Panzi Hospital, Read More
"You can feel the cathartic process and both the trauma and joy of being able to express that in the music that they’re doing. It is a fascinating exploration back to what music was originally meant to do for people."
— David Bottrill, Grammy Award-winning music producer & Board Member, Read More