The Cathedral Church of St George is the centre of a community where God's love and the reconciling Gospel of Jesus Christ are lived out through the people of the parish in the joy of sacrament, hospitality, worship and music.
The parish’s Christian witness is influenced by its downtown location. The largest outreach undertaking of the parish is support of Lunch By George. LBG serves many Kingstonians in the newly-renovated Great Hall. Run by volunteers, the program provides coffee at 9, soup at 10 and a hot nutritious meal at 11:00 a.m. each weekday, at no cost to the recipients. Over 11,000 meals were served in 2010.
The Cathedral parish is an active community holding regular services and Sunday School every Sunday. The 8:00 a.m. service is usually based on the Book of Common Prayer (BCP). The 10:30 a.m. service is usually a Choral Eucharist (BAS). During the week, services are held Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays in the Lady Chapel. There is an active pastoral care group at the Cathedral.
The historic Cathedral is a centre of worship often used for major religious events for Anglican, ecumenical and interfaith gatherings. It is frequently the location for both state and civic events. Hundreds of worshippers flock to Christmas services and to concerts.
The parish has very active adult and children’s choirs. In addition, many concerts are held in St. George’s because of the parish’s commitment to music, the Cathedral’s excellent acoustics, and its magnificent organ.
The Cathedral is an important tourist attraction in Kingston, located near City Hall and the city’s many downtown historic buildings. Visitors come from around the world each year for free guided tours, particularly during the summer. Tours are available between the long weekend in May and Thanksgiving.
About ST GEORGE'S CATHEDRAL
Anglicans built the first church of any denomination in Kingston in 1792. There has been worship in the oldest part of the present building since 1825. St. George's Cathedral, the mother church of the Anglican Diocese of Ontario, became the Cathedral in 1862.
The Rt. Rev. Michael Oulton is the Bishop of Ontario and The Very Rev. Don Davidson is the Dean of the Cathedral. There are nine Honourary Assistants who frequently assist at services.
Discussion groups, music series and other programs attract participants from both inside and outside the parish. Programs are often held at noon hour in order to make them available to those who work downtown but live elsewhere.
St. George’s endeavours to be a centre of ministry, education and worship, a monument to our heritage, a place where excellence in the arts is encouraged, and a spiritual centre for all people.