Durham Youth Services (DYS) opened on April 7, 2008, as the only shelter within the Durham Region targeted specifically at homeless youth. It launched as a 10-bed shelter providing a temporary, safe living environment to youth between the ages of 16 and 24.
Now with 13 beds, DYS continues to offer a number of important services which include shelter, drop-in, meals, clothing, food cupboard, shower and washroom facilities, access to telephone and internet services, assistance obtaining benefits, and advocacy negotiating the social service system.
DYS also works to ensure that residents can access other vital services including family re-connection, nutrition education, hygiene education, mental health counselling, nursing services, physician services, pregnancy counselling, parenting education, addiction counselling, life skills education, job readiness and job skills education, anger and stress management education and transportation to services.
Over the next few years, DYS will be re-shaping its priorities under a bold, new vision. These include strengthening its focus on homelessness prevention among at-risk youth and working to end the stigma of homelessness. While DYS will still offer shelter to homeless youth, it will work to expand its range of programs in line with its vision.
To end youth homelessness in the Durham Region.
Provide programs for at-risk and homeless youth in the Durham Region to prevent homelessness, provide shelter and other opportunities that will support their success and end the stigma of homelessness.
Examples of how your donation will be used, include:
* Funding the Youth Reconnect Program, the only youth homelessness prevention program in Durham. In one year, we have successfully prevented over 30th from entering the homeless system. We have assisted youth and their families repair relationships and build healthier and happier lives.
* $500, a move out kit for youth who find housing. Items include bedding, towels, dishes, pots and pans, cutlery, cleaning supplies and food.
* $300 groceries for the shelter for one week.
* $100 grocery or Walmart gift card for youth living independently.
* $50 new shoes and other personal care items for one youth.
* $25 art therapy supplies for one youth.
We thank you kindly for your support and generosity. Together we can end youth homelessness in Durham.