All youth have a place to call home where they feel welcomed, accepted and valued; and where youth are equal as partners in creating a better community.
To address the needs of at-risk and homeless youth in Durham Region by working with youth and other community partners to provide opportunities for youth that will support their success.
* Establish a 10-bed emergency shelter for youth, ages 16-24 (Opened April 7, 2008)
* Work toward establishing 50 beds of transitional housing and 10 beds of supportive housing for youth
* Become the link between youth in need and the continuum of support services in Durham Region, and
* Become an employer of choice in Durham Region for those committed to working with youth in need
Durham Youth Housing and Support Services is committed to our vision, mission and goals to serve at-risk and homeless youth in Durham Region. When fully realized, the scope of our efforts will reach out to homeless youth in: Ajax, Brock, Clarington, Oshawa, Pickering, Scugog, Uxbridge and Whitby.
As the only shelter for homeless and at-risk youth in Durham Region, we want to ensure that we respond to what youth in our community need. Youth have described the need not only for an emergency bed, but a safe home where they can develop the skills they need to be independent. Safety is a key issue for many youth and is particularly important for high-risk youth, who are the most difficult to connect with.
About Joanne's House
The services we are providing include: shelter, drop-in, meals, clothing, food cupboard, shower and washroom facilities, assistance obtaining benefits, advocacy negotiating the social service system, access to telephone and internet.
We are also ensuring that residents are able to access other services including: family re-connection, nutrition education, hygiene education, mental health counselling, nursing services, physician services, pregnancy counselling, parenting education, addiction counselling, life skills education, job readiness and job skills education, anger and stress management education and transportation to services.
Examples of how your donation will be used, include:
* $500, three meals and nutritious snacks (ten youth, one week)
* $250, shelter household supplies (one month)
* $150, transportation to work, job/apartment search (ten youth, one month)
* $25, personal needs allowance (one youth, one week)