Inside Education helps teachers and students understand the science, technology, and issues related to our environment and natural resources. We create and deliver curriculum-relevant energy, environmental and natural resources education programs in topics related to forests, energy, and water. These programs consider multiple perspectives, promote critical thinking, and encourage responsible stewardship.
We envision a future generation of knowledgeable and critical thinkers, who understand important connections and relationships between the environment, economy, and society, and take responsible action as informed citizens and stewards of our natural resources.
About Inside Education
Who We Serve - We support teachers and students in the formal K-12 school system in Alberta. We serve schools in all geographic areas and school districts throughout the province, including urban, rural, remote, underserved, and aboriginal communities.
Our Education Programs - We create learning opportunities! We provide no-cost classroom presentations and student field studies; teacher professional development workshops and tours; classroom resource learning materials; grant opportunities and annual education summits for students and teachers.
Our 2018 Impact
- 25,701 students attended our program
- 354 teachers attended our professional development programs
- 73 environmental and energy projects supported
- 3,503 learning resources distributed to Alberta classrooms
- 511 K-12 classrooms visited across 111 communities in Alberta
- 6 youth summits across Alberta
- We are guided by a volunteer board of 15 professionals
- We employ 13 full-time staff who deliver programs across Alberta
- We have 2 offices, in Calgary and Edmonton
- We engage hundreds of subject matter experts and groups, who give their time to speak on our education workshops and youth summits
- 2019 Forest Products Association of Canada - Demonstrating Outstanding Leadership in Working Partnership with Careers: The Next Generation & WorkWild
- 2018 Alberta Teacher's Association Science Council - Distinguished Service Award
- 2018 Canada's WatersNext Finalist - for our Program Director, Kathryn Wagner
- 2018 Emerald Awards Finalist - Demonstration Forest Education Network
- 2015 ASTech Foundation Award - for public awareness in science
- 2015 Canadian Society of Association Executives - best website
- 2014-15 North American Association for Environmental Education Award - for excellence in public education
- 2013 Alberta Emerald Foundation Award - for teacher professional development
- 2013 Alberta's Best Workplace Award - for working parents
- 2013 Water's Next Award - for Navigate 2012, collaboration in water education
- 2012 ECO Canada Environmental Employer of the Year Award - for human resources practices
Each year, the Jim Martin Legacy Fund, a fund developed upon the passing of our Founder, supports the participation of schools from Alberta's First Nations and Métis communities in Inside Education's youth summits.
What People Are Saying
"You’ve empowered our youth to reach goals they never thought possible and the skills to be lifelong stewards. "
— Alex Bernier, Teacher - St. Paul Regional High School, St. Paul
"I truly value the expertise of the programmers through Inside Education - I have changed grades many times and the opportunity to access programs such as this and others, including the PD opportunities is a valuable tool to increase the knowledge of my students and my teaching capacity."
— Laura Banu, Teacher - Joseph M Demko, St. Albert
"This professional development program was hands-down the best and most useful I’ve had in my 8 years of teaching. I learned so much and I’m inspired to learn more."
— Amanda Ocampo, Teacher - Colonel Macleod School, Calgary