Vision: Loving Spoonful envisions a healthy, sustainable, food-secure community.
Mission: Loving Spoonful works to achieve a healthy food-secure community by facilitating fresh food access, skill development and community engagement in a collaborative, empowering and environmentally sustainable manner.
LOVING SPOONFUL IS CONNECTING KINGSTON WITH HEALTHY FOOD!
In Kitchens: Kids, teens, adults, and families learn basic, affordable, healthy cooking and share great meals together. Our Community Kitchen programs create community connections around, and with, food. We work in partnership with Kingston Community Health Centres, Addictions & Mental Health Services, HIV-AIDS Regional Services, Youth Diversion, and many more.
In Schools: Primary school students learn about growing food, community, and cooperation in the classroom and in the GROW Project gardens on the front lawns their primary schools in Kingston. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to watch the upcoming growth of this fantastic hands-on learning program!
From the Farm and Grocery Store: Every year, Loving Spoonful volunteers reclaim tens of thousands of pounds of healthy, surplus, perishable food from farms, grocery stores, and others and distribute it to over 40 agencies that feed our low-income neighbours and others who need good food, providing the healthy food for tens of thousands of meals here in Kingston. Gardeners Grow A Row for donation as well. Now we also deliver directly to 9 Fresh Food Market Stands that anyone can access. Set up strategically to serve those most in need!
In Community Gardens: Loving Spoonful convenes the Community Garden Network for the City of Kingston, offering hands-on workshops, finding funding opportunities, supporting the community gardens and making gardening irresistible.
Around the Table: Loving Spoonful is an active participant in the Food Policy Council for KFL&A and the Kingston Food Providers, working to make progress at the policy level as well as directly on the ground.
Nationally: Loving Spoonful is a Good Food Organization under the umbrella of Community Food Centres Canada. Together, we are changing the food system, making it healthier, less wasteful and more accessible for everyone.
- Kids in classrooms and gardens about good food, growing, collaboration and community.
- Families, adults and teens in Community Kitchens about cooking easy, affordable, healthy food
- With over 70 partners across the region, bringing good food programming and fresh food to all!
- With Kingston's 38 Community Gardens, assisting with annual reporting, grants, discounts on mulch and compost, and with establishing new gardens
- With the region's gardeners and farmers who "Grow A Row" for donation to those who need fresh food most.
- Over $1,250,000 of the freshest healthy produce to over 40 agencies and 18 Fresh Food Market Stands serving those experiencing hunger in Kingston since we started. That's the equivalent of over 500,000 healthy meals.
We're inspired & inspiring!
- We're so glad to be working toward a new vision of food -- where fresh, healthy food is available to all and it is used to bring people together to create a vibrant, healthy community.
What People Are Saying
"Loving Spoonful's experience working with youth ... has allowed them to hone programming to maximize its effectiveness, creating comfortable learning environments and affecting change in youths' food choices and cooking skills. Their approach is always fun, inclusive, participatory and educational."
— Nancy Bondy -- SNAP Youth Diversion